Info for your patients
Patient education is key to improving the health of mothers and their babies.
With more than 70 years of experience in health education, the March of Dimes provides a wide range of resources for patients and their families.
These materials are produced and regularly reviewed by a professional team that includes doctors, nurses and health educators. Visit marchofdimes.org/catalog to learn more about our patient education products.
Health action sheets
Share our bilingual health action sheets with your patients to help them have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby:
- Are you taking any of these prescription painkillers? Describes how taking opioids during pregnancy can cause serious problems for a baby, including drug withdrawal called neonatal abstinence syndrome (also called NAS). Encourages a woman to speak with her prenatal care provider before she starts or stops taking any opioid.
- How long should you wait before getting pregnant again? Explains why waiting at least 18 months between giving birth and getting pregnant again can help reduce a woman’s risk of premature birth. Includes a tool that women and providers can use together to determine appropriate interpregnancy interval.
- Signs and symptoms of preterm labor. Describes the signs and symptoms of preterm labor and what a woman can do if she has them. Includes a tool that women and providers can use together to determine when labor is preterm based on due date.
Resources for Zika virus and pregnancy
Zika is a virus that can cause serious problems during pregnancy. A pregnant woman infected with Zika can pass the virus to her baby. Zika infection during pregnancy causes a birth defect called microcephaly and other health problems. The March of Dimes has developed the following resources to help educate pregnant women and others about Zika:
- Zika and pregnancy article in English and Spanish
- Congenital Zika syndrome article in English and Spanish
- A bilingual Zika and pregnancy fact sheet
- Zika virus and pregnancy infographic in English and Spanish
- Zika virus and mosquitoes infographic in English and Spanish
- Microcephaly article in English and Spanish
Print and video products
We offer a range of print and video products that address preconception, pregnancy, prematurity, bereavement, baby care and genetics. Several of our products are easy-to-read, written at a 5th- to 7th-grade reading level to simplify the most complicated of health topics. Visit marchofdimes.org/catalog to view our print and video products.
Becoming a mom/Comenzando bien®
Our bilingual (English and Spanish) prenatal curriculum is designed to educate pregnant women in a supportive group setting. Nine sessions provide information on prenatal care, nutrition, stress, things to avoid during pregnancy, labor and birth, postpartum care and newborn care. Go to marchofdimes.org/catalog to purchase the curriculum. Download our curriculum handouts in English and Spanish.