New York State Advocacy
March of Dimes volunteers and staff work to influence both legislative and regulatory activities in each state by serving as powerful voices for the needs of pregnant women, infants, children and families. Our efforts span the full range of our annual Advocacy & Government Affairs priorities, including access to care, research and surveillance, and prevention and education.
In New York, the March of Dimes successfully advocated for 14 legislative wins in 2017 including Medicaid coverage for donor breast milk for qualifying infants in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU); legislation to designate public school grounds as non-e-cigarette sites under the state’s Clean Air Act; establish a rural health council in New York State, which will advise the Commissioner on reproductive and prenatal services, and other rural health aspects; and legislation adding e-cigarettes to the same regulations as other nicotine products.
Advocates also worked with coalition partners to defeat legislation mandating neonatologist screen and report incidences of NAS; advocating to prohibit insurance companies from requiring prior authorization to cover neonatal care and hospitalization services; and opposed legislation allowing full exemptions to school-aged children’s immunization schedules.
Additionally in New York, the March of Dimes worked to secure 5 funding priorities in the state budget including 3 home visiting programs, Nurse-Family Partnership, Healthy Families New York, and Community Optional Preventive Services (COPS), and funding for tobacco control and immunization programs.
- Stay tuned for details on local opportunities to join March of Dimes and other volunteers for advocacy related events.
- Sign up for the March of Dimes Advocacy Network to receive updates and action alerts related to our advocacy priorities.
Below are just a few examples of fact sheets and issue briefs used in successful state advocacy efforts.
- Raising Minimum Tobacco Purchase Age to 21 Fact Sheet
- E-Cigarettes & Pregnancy Fact Sheet
- Access to Care Fact Sheet
- Severe Combined Immunodeficiency (SCID) Fact Sheet
- Pregnancy Discrimination Fact Sheet
- Pompe Disease Fact Sheet
- Critical Congenital Heart Disease (CCHD) Fact Sheet
- Immunization Exemption Fact Sheet
See also: State advocacy (overview), Federal advocacy, Advocacy and Government Affairs Issues and Priorities, Policies & positions, Victories & achievements, March of Dimes Foundation Data Book for Policy Makers and Peristats