FOR MOMS AND BABIES
the most dangerous developed nation to give birth in?
Unfortunately, it's America
The maternal death rate in America has doubled in just twenty five years, and it’s only getting worse. More than 700 moms died due to pregnancy-related causes this year alone, making the United States the most dangerous developed nation to have a newborn baby. Women of color are most at risk of facing life-threatening complications, and black women are three times as likely as white women to die from pregnancy-related causes. Working together for #BlanketChange, we can give all new moms a better chance to be there for their babies.
A completely avoidable crisis in
America is getting much, much worse.
Until we all come together to try and make #BlanketChange for moms and babies, these numbers will only continue to go up.
over 700 women
die each year from complications related to pregnancy.
will die from pregnancy-related causes today. And every day.
suffer life-threatening complications
every year during pregnancy.
are over three times as likely as white women
to die from pregnancy-related causes.
the #blanketchange agenda:
Prevent women from dying from pregnancy-related causes
- Endorse legislation that will prevent women from dying from pregnancy-related causes.
- Require ALL health plans to cover people with pre-existing conditions.
- Require ALL health plans to cover maternity and newborn care.
- Ensure new moms don’t have to trade maternal health benefits they need to afford health coverage.
- Endorse legislation to support research and services for preemies and their families.
Join the #blanketchange story
Thank you to everyone who has shared their story with us. You and your stories are a big part of our fight for moms and babies. We'll continue to share people's stories as we keep on fighting every day for #BlanketChange.