The Summit is SOLD OUT.
Unfortunately, we do not anticipate having space to accommodate walk-in registrants on the day of the Summit.
Speaker presentations will be posted on this page for review after the Summit. If you would like to be added to our email distribution list for future convenings and educational opportunities, please contact email@example.com.
Join colleagues and community partners for a day of learning, collaboration and action to achieve birth equity.
: Breakfast and Registration
: Morning Keynote: Arthur James, MD, FACOG: EQUITY in the Opportunity to Survive the First Year of Life-a dream deferred…
9:20am: Making it Real: Closing the Black-White Gap for Infant Mortality (2017-2019) Through Data and Life Stories Moderator: Wenonah Valentine, MBA; Panelists: Kacie Blackman, PhD; Shamiesha Ebhotemen, BSN ‘20, RN, CLE; Stella Clingmon Simon, MPH
10:15am: Los Angeles County African American Infant and Maternal Mortality Initiative Overview - Debbie Allen, ScD and Melissa Franklin, MBA
10:45am: Break and Exhibitors
11:00am: California Equity Projects and Programs Panel Moderator: Amelia Cobb, First 5 LA; Panelists: Policy in Action: Shantay Davies-Balch, MBA, CLE; California Department of Public Health Birth Equity Initiatives: Leslie Kowalewski; Preterm Birth Prevention/Low-Dose Aspirin Provider Toolkit: Subhashini Ladella, MD; UCSF PTBi SOLARS Study: Brittany Chambers, PhD and Brianne Taylor
12:15pm: Networking Lunch and Exhibitors
1:00pm: Afternoon Keynote: Zea Malawa, MD, MPH: Advancing an Anti-Racism Agenda in Health Care Settings
2:20pm Breakout Sessions (Concurrent)
3:30pm Breakout Sessions (Concurrent)
- Session 1: Courageous Conversations - Los Angeles County African American Infant and Mortality Initiative Deborah Allen, ScD - Los Angeles County Department of Public Health; Melissa R. Franklin, MBA - First 5 LA; Kimberly Gregory, MD - Cedars-Sinai; Adjoa Jones - SPA 6, Whole Person Care - LA; Sonya Young Aadam - California Black Women's Health Project; Janette Robinson Flint - Black Women for Wellness
- Session 2: Doula and Midwifery Care to Advance Birth Equity: Diversity Uplifts, Inc. - Sayida Peprah, PsyD, CD; National Health Law Program - Amy Chen, JD; California Birth Center Association-Rosanne Gephart, CNM
- Session 3: Multidisciplinary Models of Care: Maternal Child Health Access - Lynn Kersey; Mama’s Neighborhood - Moraya Moini; La Clinica de la Raza - Dr. Jenny Horowitz
Session 1: Cultural Humility and Healthcare Stereotype Threat Trainings
Nakeisha Robinson, MA, LMFT- iDREAM for Racial Equity; Cleopatra Abdou Kamperveen, PhD, University of Southern California
- Session 2: Community and Family Partnerships, Empowerment, and Mobilization
Janice Mathurin, MA - West Fresno Family Resource Center; Kindra Montgomery-Block, MPA - Black Child Legacy Campaign; Brandi Sims – First 5 LA
- Session 3: Black Infant Health: Three Decades of Caring, Serving and Building a Legacy of Trust - Robin Qualls, RN, PHN, MPH; Yolonda Rogers-Jones, Gwen Manning, Nicole Evans, MSW, MBA
Closing and Evaluation
The 2019 California Birth Equity Summit is a collaboration between March of Dimes, First5LA, LA County Department of Public Health and PAC/LAC.
Register at: ca-birth-equity-summit.eventbrite.com
The Summit is SOLD OUT .
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
to request to be added to the wait list.
We will contact you as spots open. Thank you!
· Early Bird Registration $40 (by 10/7/2019)
· Late Registration: $50
· 10% discount for groups of 5 or more
· 10% discount for students
For special hotel rate, please visit: www.tinyurl.com/CASUMMITHOTEL
Continuing education credits (CME, CEU, LCSW, LMFT and CHES)
will be provided by PAC/LAC.*
*This activity is sponsored by the Perinatal Advisory Council: Leadership, Advocacy and Consultation (PAC/LAC). This activity has been approved for AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM
. PAC/LAC is an approved provider by the California Board of Registered Nursing Provider CEP 5862. PAC/LAC is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LMFTs and LCSWs. CE Provider #128542. PAC/LAC is a designated provider of continuing education contact hours (CHES) in health education by the National Commission for Health Education Credentialing, Inc.