Becoming a dad (Fatherhood)
We're committed to making sure that fathers are prepared to support their partners before, during and after pregnancy.
Being a dad begins even before your baby is born. The things you do to keep you and your partner healthy before and during pregnancy can help your baby be born healthy and strong.
In your journey to become a dad, we know you want to be prepared and are seeking out information online. That’s why we’re here with health and wellness resources for every stage of pregnancy to help you and your partner have the best possible start.
Below you'll find self-guided content to learn more about what you can do to prepare and support your partner:
- Before pregnancy (PDF, 958KB)
- During Pregnancy (PDF, 845 KB)
- Labor and birth (PDF, 762 KB)
- Baby’s home (PDF, 747KB)
- Before, during, labor and birth, and Baby’s home - ALL SECTIONS COMBINED (PDF, 1.6MB)
- Download and print this worksheet to fill out while you go through the content.
Plus stories from several fathers on their own journey to becoming a dad.
As you walk through the content and watch the videos from other fathers, download and print this worksheet with some questions you can ask yourself and talk through with your partner as you continue on your journey to fatherhood.
If you are a facilitator and need a power point to present at a workshop, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to request.
Thank you to the dads, fathers, and mentors from our National Service Partners Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.®, Phi Beta Sigma, Fraternity, Inc., Kappa Alpha Psi® Fraternity, Inc. who shared their experiences in becoming a father.
- Marchofdimes.org has several resources for expectant families before pregnancy and for mom before, during and after pregnancy available at It Starts With Mom.
- Spanish-speaking women and families can easily find much- needed information on how to have a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby online at nacersano.org.
- Birth plan template.
- March of Dimes My NICU Baby® App provides answers, tools and support, so you can focus on your baby during what is often a difficult time. Learn about NICU staff, policies, equipment and terminology on your own schedule. The app has been developed and designed by experts to help you advocate for the best care for your baby.
- Find support and comfort online. Find a supportive online environment that’s just right for you with trusted information and advice, helpful resources and caring people who want to connect.
- Additional community resources.
- Check out the resources for the full video stories.
PS: Start a March of Dimes Do-It-Yourself Father’s Day Fundraiser to honor a special dad in your life AND support our mission at the same time.