March of Dimes Supports Urgent Needs Of Mothers and Babies in Haiti Earthquake
White Plains, New York | Friday, January 15, 2010
Media ContactsMichele Kling (914-997-4613)
The March of Dimes has made a grant to UNICEF to help thousands of pregnant women, mothers and babies in Haiti imperiled by the devastating earthquake and its aftermath.
“The March of Dimes is deeply concerned about the thousands of pregnant women and moms caring for infants in Haiti, especially extremely fragile premature babies” said Dr. Jennifer L. Howse, president of the March of Dimes. “Many babies and young children have been separated from their families, others are feared orphaned.”
The March of Dimes special gift of $100,000 will help Haitian women who are pregnant or breastfeeding and babies who are in dire need of proper nutrition, safe water, and safe ways to prepare infant formula, as well as supplies such as diapers and clothing.
In addition, the March of Dimes says, mothers and babies in affected areas in Haiti have long-term needs that must be addressed over the coming months. These include:
- prenatal and newborn care for pregnant women and babies;
- specialized care and equipment for an expected rise in the number of babies born prematurely;
- multivitamins with folic acid for women of childbearing age and pregnant women to reduce the risk of neural tube birth defects;
- immunization and other measures to prevent infectious disease in mothers and babies;
- updated information for pregnant women and families on available services as the situation in Haiti changes.
The March of Dimes is always working to help mothers and babies. If you want to donate immediately, text the word BABY to 20222 and your phone will be charged $5.00 for a donation to the March of Dimes.
About March of Dimes
March of Dimes leads the fight for the health of all moms and babies. We support research, lead programs and provide education and advocacy so that every baby can have the best possible start. Building on a successful 80-year legacy of impact and innovation, we empower every mom and every family.