World Prematurity Day
Premature birth and its complications are the largest contributors to infant death in the U.S. and globally. This urgent health crisis is not going away—U.S. preterm birth rates have increased for the third year in a row—and we must do something about it. On World Prematurity Day, November 17, we ask you to speak up and take action for moms and babies.
There’s so much you can do to help us fight for the health of every mom and every baby in communities like yours and across the country.
- When you make a tax-deductible donation to support lifesaving research and community programs on November 17, your gift will be tripled—that’s a great start.
- You can also find a meaningful gift for every holiday in our gift guide, and select Gifts That Empower to support the families who count on us.
- If Facebook is your social network of choice, start a fundraiser to help support the 380,000 babies born prematurely each year—together we can raise more than $380,000 by involving our friends and followers.
- Ready to speak up for moms and babies today? Visit our social press kit for sample posts that make it easy to share this message with the world.
- And you can always light it purple, including your office, lobby or the outside of your workplace or home. If you can wear it, make it purple, too. Don’t forget to use the native Facebook profile picture tool to change your profile photo and post all your purple pictures online to inspire others.
By using Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to ignite conversations on World Prematurity Day and every day, you can join the fight to make the future brighter for us all. Don’t forget to tag @marchofdimes and use #PrematurityAwarenessMonth and #WorldPrematurityDay in your posts.
Find out more about Prematurity Awareness Month, the 2018 Premature Birth Report Card and the families we’re helping and empowering together.