New Jersey programs
NICU Family Support
Built upon a family-centered philosophy and incorporating NICU families into every level of the project, NICU Family Support is being rolled out through March of Dimes chapters nationwide. This service is currently being offered in over 115 hospitals. Serving the mothers, fathers, siblings, grandparents and extended family of newborns admitted to the NICU, NICU Family Support addresses the needs of families throughout hospitalization, during the transition home and in the event of a newborn death.
NICU Family Support has multiple components that make it unique:
- A part-time March of Dimes NICU Support Specialist with professional NICU experience
- A volunteer parent-professional action committee guiding program selection, development and implementation
- March of Dimes volunteers providing parent-to-parent support to families within the NICU setting
- Sensitive and engaging educational materials that introduce parents to the staff, equipment, procedures and conditions that they may encounter in the NICU
- Customized programs to serve the needs of the specific NICUs and the populations they support
NICU Family Support information and resources are available to all families through the March of Dimes national website.
NICU Family Support at Capital Health in Trenton is one of the nation’s hospitals currently hosting this program. Capital Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton is a level III Regional Perinatal Center, providing the highest level or care. The March of Dimes, Capital Health, Newark Beth Israel Medical Center and Valley Hospital have committed to this project.
For more information, please contact Laurie Navin at (732) 952-9015 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Support Groups for families with premature babies:
- Parent to Parent, a statewide network of parents supporting families of children with development delays, disabilities and special health needs can be reached by calling 1-800-372-6510 or email at email@example.com
- UNITE, a grief support network for families who have lost a baby, can be reached by calling 1-888-48UNITE
See also: NICU Annual Report(PDF,692.08kb)