The March of Dimes is Helping Families in Kentucky
NICU Family Support is one of the ways that the March of Dimes is supporting families whose babies were born sick, premature or with a birth defect. Focusing on family-centered care, NICU Family Support provides comfort and information to parents whose babies have been hospitalized in a Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). There is at least one NICU Family Support site in every state in the country. Kentucky’s site is located at Norton Women's Kosair Children's Hospital in Louisville.
Mary Beth Camp, the March of Dimes NICU Family Support Specialist, oversees the program. She works closely with a committee comprised of NICU graduate parents and professionals to promote family-centered care in the unit. This team strives to empower and educate parents throughout their baby’s NICU stay and ease the transition to home.
Some of the services provided through NICU Family Support are:
- Educational parent hours and classes
- Informational packets about the NICU, prematurity, birth defects, etc.
- Professional family photo sessions in the NICU
- Lending library and resource binders
- Scrap booking classes
- Holiday celebrations and gifts
- Parent-to-parent support at the bedside
- Professional development for NICU staff
If you, or someone you know, had a baby in the NICU and you would like more information about NICU Family Support volunteer opportunities, please contact Mary Beth Camp at firstname.lastname@example.org or (502) 899-6693.