Nurturing NICU Families across Indiana
Nurturing NICU Families across Indiana is a program established by the Indiana Chapter of the March of Dimes to provide comfort and information to mothers and families of critically ill newborns. The program includes the implementation of national March of Dimes programs locally and the development of new, pilot programs exclusive to Indiana.
Elements of the Indiana program include:
NICU Family Support®, a March of Dimes National program that is in place at Riley Hospital for Children at Methodist Hospital
• Provides March of Dimes staff member (NICU Family Support Specialist)
• Parent Care Kit materials (print and video) for every NICU family
• Specialized training on family-centered care issues for NICU staff
NICU Family Resource Centers, an Indiana Chapter Program exclusively developed for Indiana families
• March of Dimes Indiana Chapter provides four Indiana NICU’s with educational materials, comfort items (meal vouchers, transportation, phone cards, etc.) staff training, and outreach by local NICU graduate parents designed to communicate support and caring to current NICU families.
• Includes a computer provided by the hospital to allow for families to access the ShareYourStory.org website in a convenient location. They can participate in on-line sharing with other NICU families and find support from other families who have had similar experiences.
Mission Volunteer Councils (MVC) are committees of mission-affected families who plan and conduct outreach efforts of the Indiana Chapter to moms and families of critically ill newborns
• Specific activities vary from division to division – activities are locally determined.
• Example: division Mission Volunteer Council delivers “goody bags” to local NICU’s. Allows families to know that there are others who have “walked in their shoes” and who care during a time of crisis.
• Bags contain info on March of Dimes and ShareYourStory.org website as well as treats and comfort items for the families.
For more information about joining the local March of Dimes Mission Volunteer Council or to "adopt" a NICU through his program, contact the Indiana Chapter of the March of Dimes at (800) 844-9255 or email us.