Radon is a gas that is found in rock, dirt, water, natural gas and building materials. You can’t see or smell it. Radon is radioactive. This means it produces energy that can harm health and even lead to death. As radon decays, it can damage the lungs and even cause lung cancer. In the United States, radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer deaths. (Cigarette smoking is responsible for 9 out of 10 deaths from lung cancer in the U.S.)
Radon is not a problem outdoors, but it can be a problem indoors. The Environmental Protection Agency recommends that radon testing be done for:
What you can do to protect your family from radon
Scientists are debating whether BPA (bisphenol A) and phthalates pose a risk to children's health. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has expressed concerns about chemicals used in plastics. BPA is used to make plastics clear, strong and hard to break. Some baby bottles, dishes and toys contain this chemical. Some research has found that bisphenol A can affect the brain, behavior and prostate gland in infants and children.
If you're concerned, buy BPA-free plastic baby products. You can also use baby bottles made of glass, polypropylene or polyethylene. If you use plastics, avoid plastics numbered 3 or 7 (look for the number in a triangle typically found on the bottom of containers). Use plastics numbered 1, 2 and 4. If plastic baby bottles and infant cups contain BPA, discard them if they have scratches. Don't put boiling or very hot liquids, such as formula, into plastic bottles or containers that contain BPA.